Stamps (Philately)/Stamp Collection

Question
Greetings Terry,

I received my father's stamp collection a couple of years ago.  I'd like to have it appraised.  Are you able to help me out?

Thank you!
Darren

Answer
Hi Darren,

Thanks for your question.   Here in this forum, we don't recommend specific dealers or people.  However, I think I can direct you favorably.    At your local library, check out Scotts catalogue.   It is considered the "holy bible" of stamp collectors.  In these user friendly books, you can find almost every postage stamp ever issued.   There are pictures to help with identification as well as values for each item in both mint and used conditions.  

A word about values in  the book----they are a rough guideline as to what you could expect to pay for an item if you were to buy it from a stamp dealer.   Selling that same item to a stamp dealer will generally net you 20% to 30% of the list value depending on condition and demand.

Thanks again for your question and let me know if I can be of any more help.

Terry

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton