Stamps (Philately)/Hawaii- 1853

QUESTION: Dear Scott. I have a friends collection which I am going through and have  come across a 13 orange red colour imperf Stamp of King Kamehameha III. There are two listed... One on thick white woven paper and one not (which is the valuable one). How would I be able to tell which one it is? There is no post mark on the stamp, however it is quite faded and the paper seems smooth and thin, without gum.  This could be from the age… could you assist in determining which one of the two it is? Many thanks,  Janine Campbell, South Africa.

ANSWER: Hi Janine,
  Are you able to send me a photo or scan of the stamp?  It will help me a great deal in identifying which it is.

Hawaii  stamp
Hawaii stamp  
Attached find image.
Looking forward to your reply

Hi Janine,
  Ok, thanks very much for sending this image.  While it's a little blurry I'm rather certain still that this is the Hawaii Scott #11R which is the reprint version of the stamp.  There's no need to get distracted by the paper type, the reprint has a couple of distinctive elements that allow us to see it.

First, the original #6 is Dark Red color, and the #11 is dull rose, while the reprint #11R is Orange Red.  The #6 and #11 would show no hint of orange coloration in their ink, and in this image it's quite clear to me that it has a lot of orange in the ink.  In addition, there are a couple of other indicators.  The biggest "give away" for me is looking at the upper left corner of the stamp.  Under the 13 (running vertically upward) the "Cts." holds a vital clue.  The small "t" in Cts in the #6 and #11 are visibly shorter than the top of the C, while in the reprint 11R the "t" is at least as tall, or slightly taller than the C in Cts.  Even in the blurry photo, I can see that the small t in that side is at least as tall as the C.  The #6 and #11 are much shorter, and typically has a wider "cross" in the t than the reprint.

So, this is the #11R reprint of the Scott #6 Hawaii.

Now, it's not all bad news... that version of the stamp carries a catalog value of $300.  In addition, there were a very small number of these sold (1696).  Some of the stock apparently was also overprinted "REPRINT", though the quantities sold include those both with and without the REPRINT overprint.  The stamp was printed in 1889, and they didn't make the "REPRINT" overprint until 1892, which means, it wasn't a "big seller".  Likely there are more without the overprint then there are with it.  Scott book does not differentiate.  Which such an incredibly low number printed and sold, with a CV of only $300, I would put this stamp in the category of "Undervalued".  Meaning that, in the future, value of this stamp is likely to increase significantly, as its scarcity becomes more recognized.  It has a full 4 margins (though a little close at bottom right), it's a reasonably nice example of this stamp.
Hope this helps.
Best regards,

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton

My expertise is in US, but I have a lot of exposure to worldwide, and with wide reference material, I will do what I can to answer questions about global stamps. In US I have extensive experience in all aspects (does include Administrative overprints for Cuba, China, Puerto Rico etc.). Also, Hawaii general issue and Revenue (pre-statehood). Of course still building knowledge but have been collecting since 1980. Air Mail is a favorite area, but not a limitation. Two specialty areas are Large Banknote issues, and Washington/Franklin identification. Strong experience in Carrier & Locals, Private Die (Also known as M&M for "Match & Medicine" but also includes some playing card and perfume stamp issues.) Recently have been building more back-of-book experience, especially around Official, Newspaper, Revenue and tax editions. Some covers, and cancellations, but not my strong suit. Another area I'm recently diving into. What I can't do: Anything non-US, as it's just not an area I focus on.

30+ years of learning the hard way. A lot of passion for collecting and dealing (as I do both). I don't consider it a hobby... I consider it a serious pursuit that I'm able to do in the hours I'm not occupied by annoying things like sleep. I work closely with some of the global leaders in the expertizing and identification field. Have co-authored several papers (with Mr. William Weiss Jr.) related to identification, as well as tool set to help with quickly identifying the more challenging areas of Washington Franklin. Strong experience in paper types and coil validation.

Member of APS #222356.

1870 - 1879 Large Banknote Issues - Easy Identification (co-authored with William Weiss Jr). Washington-Franklin - Easy Identification (co-authored with William Weiss Jr.) Detecting Fakes, Alterations and Counterfeits (APS Summer Session Expertizing Session materials with William Weiss Jr.)

Thousands and thousands of hours of pouring over hundreds of collections. 30+ years as a collector-to-dealer, avid student of philatelic study. Pre-1900 variation is fascinating, and it seems even after all these years, that I make some discovery every time I look at a new example. APS Summer Session - Fundamentals of Expertizing 2014

100's too numerous to mention.