Stamps (Philately)/Postage stamps shapes.

Question
Dear Peter

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamp
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postage_stamp

Other than Rectangle, Square, Diamond, Kite shapes can we construct postage stamps with other possible shapes viz Circular, Oval, Trapezoid, Pyramid etc ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hello Prashant,

there are no official requirements concerning the shape of stamps. Several countries already have issued postage stamps shaped as a circle or oval and there are even postage stamps in the shape of a banana, a flower or the contours of a country.
The problem is not the form itself, but the practical handling if you want to remove the stamp from the sheet and stick it to the letter. At the post office this must go quite rational and therefore most stamps have a rectangular format. Since several years there is an increased number of self-adhesive stamps that you can pull off a sheet of foil. Here, the shape of the stamps is without limits.

Kind regards from Berlin / Germany
Peter

Stamps (Philately)

Peter Lang