Stamps (Philately)/Scott RB65 2 on bottle

I have a small bottle with cork and residue of contents (presumed)with 2 ea. 1cent revenue stamps.
What were these stamps used for and would there be any value to this item beyond 2 used, in-place stamps?
Thank you

These are interesting items.  Scott catalog isn't a lot of help with these for pricing, but it would be considered a "Revenue on Piece", which they don't list.
  The purpose of these RB (Propriety Revenue) was to indicate a tax collected for the item.  So if the item sold for say, 5 cents, and had a 1c revenue stamp attached, then the buyer would pay 6c to the cashier, and they would in turn show they had collected the special tax (they account for the number of stamps used, and that's the tax they pay the tax collector).
  Finding these items on the original source (most of which were either perfume or medicine bottles) is fairly uncommon.  The stamp itself "used" is worth about 30 cents.  On a bottle like this I've gotten between $15 and $30 depending on the type of bottle, and venue selling in.  (On ebay, around $15, at a dealer show, up to $30).
  So won't be a retirement for you, but should by you a nice lunch.

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton

My expertise is in US, but I have a lot of exposure to worldwide, and with wide reference material, I will do what I can to answer questions about global stamps. In US I have extensive experience in all aspects (does include Administrative overprints for Cuba, China, Puerto Rico etc.). Also, Hawaii general issue and Revenue (pre-statehood). Of course still building knowledge but have been collecting since 1980. Air Mail is a favorite area, but not a limitation. Two specialty areas are Large Banknote issues, and Washington/Franklin identification. Strong experience in Carrier & Locals, Private Die (Also known as M&M for "Match & Medicine" but also includes some playing card and perfume stamp issues.) Recently have been building more back-of-book experience, especially around Official, Newspaper, Revenue and tax editions. Some covers, and cancellations, but not my strong suit. Another area I'm recently diving into. What I can't do: Anything non-US, as it's just not an area I focus on.

30+ years of learning the hard way. A lot of passion for collecting and dealing (as I do both). I don't consider it a hobby... I consider it a serious pursuit that I'm able to do in the hours I'm not occupied by annoying things like sleep. I work closely with some of the global leaders in the expertizing and identification field. Have co-authored several papers (with Mr. William Weiss Jr.) related to identification, as well as tool set to help with quickly identifying the more challenging areas of Washington Franklin. Strong experience in paper types and coil validation.

Member of APS #222356.

1870 - 1879 Large Banknote Issues - Easy Identification (co-authored with William Weiss Jr). Washington-Franklin - Easy Identification (co-authored with William Weiss Jr.) Detecting Fakes, Alterations and Counterfeits (APS Summer Session Expertizing Session materials with William Weiss Jr.)

Thousands and thousands of hours of pouring over hundreds of collections. 30+ years as a collector-to-dealer, avid student of philatelic study. Pre-1900 variation is fascinating, and it seems even after all these years, that I make some discovery every time I look at a new example. APS Summer Session - Fundamentals of Expertizing 2014

100's too numerous to mention.