Stamps (Philately)/U.S. Internal Revenue Tax Stamp

Question
U.S. Revenue Tax Stamp
U.S. Revenue Tax Stamp  
We found 2 empty cases that contained whiskey with dates on the cases of 1913 & 1918. Also on each case is a United States Internal Revenue Tax stamp from the state of Kentucky. on the top left of the stamp reads "series of 1911" and on the top right it reads "Act of March 3 1897". it looks like Ceaser sitting on the top left of the stamp and the label reads "Distilled Spirits 3 Bottled Gallons". There are two signatures on one stamp and the other has one because the bottom right is torn off. The stamp measures 6.5 in. by 3.25 in. Any Value to these stamps?

Answer
Kurtis,
  This is an interesting part of history, though typically isn't considered so much a "stamp" in the way that other stamps (like postage or documentary revenue) are "treated" by the collecting industry.

This type of "stamp" is known as a "warehouse bottled in bond".  They had to be more than 2 gallons, and less than 5, and allowed distilleries to store spirits in their warehouses, without having to pay the tax until the boxes shipped.  There was a big problem early on with getting people to pay the tax, so in 1897 the "Bottled in Bond Act" was put into place.  This is a stamp that complies with that act, and the 1911 series printing.  There were many variations of this, and this one seems to have been issued by the state of Kentucky (as I can find no other reference to a state for this particular issue, which also had a 1933 series).  Probably states were left to regulate it themselves, but these don't appear in any of the stamp (State revenue) or Specialized Catalog.  I have handled/sold many of these (or similar) types.  The value, if it were in good shape (which this one is not, with the large chunk missing out of it) is around $15 - $20. The staple holes wouldn't be a big impact, but the missing piece is not great for it.  You may get $5-$10 from a specialty collector.

They are not overly rare, because distilled spirits were (and still are) very popular, especially Kentucky whiskies, which around that era had a good 2000+ distilleries (in Kentucky alone).
Hope this helps.
Scott

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton