Stamps (Philately)/SOUVENIR SHEETS

Question
eagle express
eagle express  

SOUVENIR SHEET
SOUVENIR SHEET  
Can you tell me your opinion of souvenir sheets such as the large colorful sheets that  are about 8 by 9 inches and are printed on very colorful paper with the stamps or their likeness. I have several hundred and most of them are in pristine condition. I suppose that they are virtually worthless as far as resale is concerned, but I have seen them being offered on ebay for $4.99 to $12.99 for one stamp issue and others twice as high for multiple stamps on page.Also do you higher expres mail stamp items have  a better future as far as resale is concerned. or is there just no  way to determine what will happen to prices and value once I decided to cease stamp collecting and try to get rid of them? Also if I have souvenir sheets that escaped the first day cancellation , does that make them more valuable or even less as they defeat the purpose by not being stamped on their  release issue date?

Answer
Hi Brian,
Thanks for the question,
Brian, the souvenir sheets you describe/show are actually called souvenir pages. As you correctly state that the higher values and later multiple issues do have a higher value. In a lot of cases it is because the cost of the original stamps were more to begin with.    Unfortunately the market for these is very limited so the resale value can vary by quite a bit. I have seen larger lots of these sell at less than an average of $1 each. Individually they would probably sell for more, some have a fairly high catalog value, especially the very early ones, these would probably be worth selling individually, but they could take quite a while to sell. These are listed in the Scott Specialized Catalog of United States Stamps under Souvenir Pages with current catalog values. I don't think the uncancelled pages would vary much in price from the others. If you wanted a more accurate idea of price, you may want to try a search of completed auctions/listing instead of checking asking prices. Hope this helps and thanks again for the question.
Mike

Stamps (Philately)

Mike Stern