Stamps (Philately)/imperforate

QUESTION: recently purchased multiple rolls (Forever- flags) and one of the rolls has no perforations - beginning to end.  Rare or return?

ANSWER: Hi Robert,
I apologize for the delay, due to a family emergency.
Robert, although I am not sure exactly which stamp you a referring to, any roll of stamps without perforations is an error and definitely should not be returned. Depending on which stamps they are it may be a new find. The value for errors is very speculative and can vary quite a bit. If you could do a follow-up with a clear picture I might be able to give you a better idea of value. And also a better idea how to proceed.
Thanks again for the question,

imperforate roll
imperforate roll  
QUESTION: here is a pic - hope your family is well.  thank you for the response and happy holidays

Hi Robert,
Thanks for the picture.
This stamp was issued in 3 different varieties, only one is known with the imperforate (technically called die-cuts omitted) error. The easiest way to identify it, since you have a complete roll is by the Plate number printed at the bottom of some of the stamps in the roll. The roll will have from 2-4 plate numbers (all the same), I'm not sure exactly how many on this roll. You will have to partially unroll it carefully to check the number. If it is plate# S11111  then it is the known error and listed in the Scott Catalog as Cat# 4868b as a die cutting omitted pair. Because these are fairly new (only issued in March of 2014) there is no value listed for it yet.
Robert, as far as a value it is a little difficult to tell, as the EFO (Errors, freaks and oddities) collectors market is very speculative. But if I were to use some other recent die-cut omitted errors as a guide, and the current market conditions, I would estimate a realistic retail value of from $50-$80 per pair, with a premium for strips of 6 with the plate numbers. In some cases you may get more but it also depends on how long you want take to sell them. Even at the prices mentioned I think they will still take quite a white to sell.
If you wanted to sell the roll fast their are a few ways to do it. You could consign it to one of the better stamp auction firms, they typically charge a 20% commission, and of course you have to wait for the end of the auction. You could also list it yourself on an online auction site, or sell it outright to a stamp dealer. Keep in mind selling the whole roll at once although a lot faster will not net you as much, for the same reason stated above as the dealer (pretty much the only buyers) has a large initial cost and a very slow pay back period. (I still have some imperf error rolls after more than 3 years). I would expect the roll to sell for approximately 25-33% of the estimated retail value, in this case from about $600-$1000.
Robert, I hope this helps, and good luck in whatever you decide, great find.
If you have any further questions just let me know.

Thanks again for the question,

If you would like to find out more about EFO's (Error's, Freaks and Oddities) then please visit the site of the EFOCC (Error's, Freaks and Oddities Collectors club)

Or if you would like to see examples of a lot of different EFO's then you may want to check out my Ebay or Bidstart Stores at the link below.

Stamps (Philately)

Mike Stern

My specialty is United States Errors, but I can answer most questions on United States stamps (except covers). I have been collecting U.S. stamps for about 35 years, and U.S. Errors for approximately 25 years. I have been selling both online for about 4 years. I am also a member of the APS (American Philatelic Society)

As I said above, I have been collecting U.S. stamps for about 35 years, and U.S. Errors for approximately 25 years. I have been selling both online for about 4 years, mostly on Ebay and

I am a 25+ year member of the APS

I went to 2 years of college at Wentworth Institute of Technology in Boston, and received a degree in Applied Science