Stamps (Philately)/Fake #405?

Question
Glasgow VA 1912 Post Card
Glasgow VA 1912 Post C  

Washington #405
Washington #405  
This Washington #405 on Post Card from 1912 has very unusual and ragged perforations unlike any I've seen before. The right side could possibly be perforated 12. Could this be a fake? Perhaps it was a #408 Imperf made to look perforated, but to what end? Or is it something else?

Answer
Hi Ken,
  Given the postmark and cancellation which tie the stamp to the card, and the 1912 date in the post mark, I've not reason to believe that the stamp is anything other than a 405.  The perforations are not so unusual either.  Top edge tore very close to the base of the perf when the stamp was separated from it's partner above it. This happens, and explains the low perf edges.  Top right and bottom left have pulled perfs, also not unusual really.  In addition, some of the perfs may have chipped over the years.  If the stamp is kept in a very hot, dry environment, then they can become very brittle, and edges will flake away.
  There would be no value in "faking" a 405 from a 408 really.  And to have done so, with the way the cancellation ties it to the piece, would have had to been done before it was mailed.  There would be no advantage in this.  This is simply a rough perfed stamp.  If your only concern is the perforation, it's not really an issue.  Lot of things can result in rough edge perf (using a ruler as a base before tearing, pulling stamp apart without folding the perf to weaken them, can result in all kinds of crazy separations at the end of the day.
The value of a 405 on piece is 30 cents, the value of a 408 on piece is $1, so it's not really worth creating a fake...
Hope that helps,
Scott

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton