Stamps (Philately)/Scott J 62 Vert pair

Question
Scott J
Scott J  
Can you tell me what I have here.

Answer
Well Aaron, it looks like you have a pair of J62 vertically attached with a Philadelphia Pa. Pre-cancel.  Pre-cancelling by the USPS was very common as a means to prevent stamp theft.

The J62 was issued starting 1917.  In the early 1900's there was a big problem with postal robbery.  People would break in, steal stamps, and then sell them.  With postage due, a person would have wait for mail delivery, steal the mail, replace the postage with postage due, pose as a USPS carrier, and then dupe people out of direct cash.  It happened enough that the USPS began to pre-cancel stamps as a prevention.  Pre-cancelling ended around late 1940s.

The value of this pair would be 50 cents.
Hope that helps.
Scott

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton