Stamps (Philately)/possible scam on elderly man?

cert of auth
cert of auth  
My brother-in-law, who was not quite all there in his mental faculties, I think may have been taken advantage of but since I know nothing about stamps I am not sure.
Someone from Saint Paul stamps called him at home and convinced him to invest in an incredibly rare stamp. I have the certificate of authenticity, invoice etc. but I looked them up and I find a huge discrepancy.
he was charges $1700 for a set of two misprinted 1990 love stamps where the heart was omitted #2441B. They are mint condition, in the acid free case things and in a binder. they have never been touched or taken out and kept in a temp controlled environment.
I find online a value of $90 I am trying to figure out what is the right value before I take the next step and file a BBB report of them frauding the elderly.

The so called "certificate of authenticity" was issued by no authoritative philatelic entity I am aware of, yet I have no doubt the error stamps in your photo are genuine examples of Scott number 2441b, the 1990 Love issue with bright pink omitted.  These error stamps have a 2015 Scott catalog value of $85 each in mint condition.  It is generally accepted in the philatelic community that the Scott value is the price a stamp collector should expect to pay a stamp dealer for a fault-free, eye-appealing example of a given stamp with very fine centering.  The error stamps in your photo appear to me to be fault-free, eye-appealing examples of 2441b with very fine centering, meriting full catalog (dealer retail) value.  Your brother-in-law paid 10 times the full retail price.  In my professional opinion, he was fleeced.

-Mark Leon

Stamps (Philately)

Mark Leon

I am a collector of United States postage stamps, and also a stamp dealer. I`m a member of the American Philatelic Society (APS). My principle area of interest and expertise is in United States Stamps.

I've been selling stamps on the internet since early 1996. I maintain a stamp web page that concentrates on mint US stamps issued generally between 1890 and 2009. I'm an active seller on since 1996, under the user id "mleon". You can find my web page at

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in computer science from the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, 1984.