Stamps (Philately)/stamp and postcard enquiry

QUESTION: Hi, I have a postcard from mockba russia with stamp and the date stamped on back dates 1895 I was wondeting what the valuation of these would be. Thankyou

With what you've given me I'm not able to give you a value.  Stamp values vary greatly on individual item.  Can you provide a scan or photo of the front and back of the card, and post to this forum?

postcard front
postcard front  
QUESTION: Ye, no problem . Thanks for the reply so soon.

Thanks for the images, very helpful.
 Ok, this is a Russian stamp, printed in 1889, it was a very very common stamp.  Russia started printing stamps in 1857, and by 1889 usage of the post had become very common, and this was the denomination for sending cards.  As a result, it was heavily used, and 100's of millions of them were printed.  From a value of the stamp perspective, it's worth about $1 USD.  If you check the Scott catalog of World Wide postage stamps, (Vol 6 for Russian), it is Scott #41.
 It is on a card, which puts it in the class of "On Cover" which in this case might add an additional $1 to the catalog value.  The card is not in good shape, though the design is charming, it does appear to have been stained pretty heavily over the years.  That will degrade its value, but at $2, there isn't much room to move anyway.
 There is some possibility that the post card itself may have a collector value, but that's beyond the scope of my expertise, and would take a post card collector to determine if it does add any.  It was sent from Russia to Scotland, during a time when there were no major conflicts taking place, just looks a pretty garden variety "card to home" or a friend while traveling.  The cards that have high value for content usually come from someone either well known, or during a conflict, like WWI or if held prisoner.  Wish I had better news for you, but old doesn't always equate to valuable.

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton

My expertise is in US, but I have a lot of exposure to worldwide, and with wide reference material, I will do what I can to answer questions about global stamps. In US I have extensive experience in all aspects (does include Administrative overprints for Cuba, China, Puerto Rico etc.). Also, Hawaii general issue and Revenue (pre-statehood). Of course still building knowledge but have been collecting since 1980. Air Mail is a favorite area, but not a limitation. Two specialty areas are Large Banknote issues, and Washington/Franklin identification. Strong experience in Carrier & Locals, Private Die (Also known as M&M for "Match & Medicine" but also includes some playing card and perfume stamp issues.) Recently have been building more back-of-book experience, especially around Official, Newspaper, Revenue and tax editions. Some covers, and cancellations, but not my strong suit. Another area I'm recently diving into. What I can't do: Anything non-US, as it's just not an area I focus on.

30+ years of learning the hard way. A lot of passion for collecting and dealing (as I do both). I don't consider it a hobby... I consider it a serious pursuit that I'm able to do in the hours I'm not occupied by annoying things like sleep. I work closely with some of the global leaders in the expertizing and identification field. Have co-authored several papers (with Mr. William Weiss Jr.) related to identification, as well as tool set to help with quickly identifying the more challenging areas of Washington Franklin. Strong experience in paper types and coil validation.

Member of APS #222356.

1870 - 1879 Large Banknote Issues - Easy Identification (co-authored with William Weiss Jr). Washington-Franklin - Easy Identification (co-authored with William Weiss Jr.) Detecting Fakes, Alterations and Counterfeits (APS Summer Session Expertizing Session materials with William Weiss Jr.)

Thousands and thousands of hours of pouring over hundreds of collections. 30+ years as a collector-to-dealer, avid student of philatelic study. Pre-1900 variation is fascinating, and it seems even after all these years, that I make some discovery every time I look at a new example. APS Summer Session - Fundamentals of Expertizing 2014

100's too numerous to mention.