Stamps (Philately)/Two Cents Postage Due

two cent stamp.jpg
two cent stamp.jpg  
My father was in WWII and I was going through an old box of photos and such and found an old envelope with some old stamps and tokens that they had to use back then. This two cent postage due stamp, a torn three cent Corregidor stamp, and an Australian 9d Platypus stamp are the best I can make out.  Do you think there is any value in this postage due stamp?  I do not know why he kept them but it must have had something to do with that period in his life.
Thank You,

Hi Barbara,
 This 2c postage due is very very common from the era.  If it's on it's own like this, it won't have much value, around 25 cents.  The Australian stamp, I assume is a brown colored 9d postage, common of the era, shows the platypus about to enter the water from a shore line.  By the time WWII came around postage stamps had been in used for over 100 years globally, and close to that for most countries (the first pre-paid postage stamp was created in England in 1840 the famous "Penny Black".
 During war time, one "relief" most people got was writing letters, copious letters.  So the stamps used were incredibly common, most having been printed in the 100's of millions (for Australia maybe 10's of millions) but that still won't increase their rarity.  Various version of this stamp were printed from 1937 to as late as 1953.  A mint copy would go for around $12 a used one not more than $4.  Unless it is still on the original envelope, and if the original letter from the envelope is still with it, then it may be of more interest to certain specialty collectors.
 Most likely, this had some special meaning to your dad if he kept it... maybe it got him through a dark moment, or arrived just at the right time to boost his moral.  The sentimental value is, I'm sure, priceless.

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton

My expertise is in US, but I have a lot of exposure to worldwide, and with wide reference material, I will do what I can to answer questions about global stamps. In US I have extensive experience in all aspects (does include Administrative overprints for Cuba, China, Puerto Rico etc.). Also, Hawaii general issue and Revenue (pre-statehood). Of course still building knowledge but have been collecting since 1980. Air Mail is a favorite area, but not a limitation. Two specialty areas are Large Banknote issues, and Washington/Franklin identification. Strong experience in Carrier & Locals, Private Die (Also known as M&M for "Match & Medicine" but also includes some playing card and perfume stamp issues.) Recently have been building more back-of-book experience, especially around Official, Newspaper, Revenue and tax editions. Some covers, and cancellations, but not my strong suit. Another area I'm recently diving into. What I can't do: Anything non-US, as it's just not an area I focus on.

30+ years of learning the hard way. A lot of passion for collecting and dealing (as I do both). I don't consider it a hobby... I consider it a serious pursuit that I'm able to do in the hours I'm not occupied by annoying things like sleep. I work closely with some of the global leaders in the expertizing and identification field. Have co-authored several papers (with Mr. William Weiss Jr.) related to identification, as well as tool set to help with quickly identifying the more challenging areas of Washington Franklin. Strong experience in paper types and coil validation.

Member of APS #222356.

1870 - 1879 Large Banknote Issues - Easy Identification (co-authored with William Weiss Jr). Washington-Franklin - Easy Identification (co-authored with William Weiss Jr.) Detecting Fakes, Alterations and Counterfeits (APS Summer Session Expertizing Session materials with William Weiss Jr.)

Thousands and thousands of hours of pouring over hundreds of collections. 30+ years as a collector-to-dealer, avid student of philatelic study. Pre-1900 variation is fascinating, and it seems even after all these years, that I make some discovery every time I look at a new example. APS Summer Session - Fundamentals of Expertizing 2014

100's too numerous to mention.