Stamps (Philately)/Elvis FDC "I WAS THERE COVER" MEMPHIS, TN

Question
I have an Elvis FDC from January 8, 1993. My brother actually went to the dedication ceremony in 1993 and stood in line to get it. It is gold embossed with "I WAS THERE" near the bottom. How much is something like this worth? I have read differing opinions. I've seen that is as much as $150-$300 or as little as $10. Do you know anything about this cover?

Answer
Dear Michael,

The Elvis stamp of 1993 is the stamp with the highest circulation that has ever been printed for a commemorative stamp worldwide. As supply and demand determine the price, the value of this stamp is very low. The same applies to the FDCs of 8 January 1993. These are offered at prices starting at US $ 1. From a philatelic point of view, it does not matter whether it is gold embossed "I was there" or not.
My opinion is: Such envelopes have a personal sentimental value to a nice event in which one participated. I do not see any material value. Maybe diehard Elvis fans are willing to pay a few dollars for it, but prices of $ 150-300 are far from reality.

Kind regards from Berlin / Germany
Peter  

Stamps (Philately)

Peter Lang