Stamps (Philately)/Surcharge mark on red 2 cent Jefferson

surcharge jefferson
surcharge jefferson  
I have found 17 of these postcards in my mothers things. All except one have a single "1 cent" surcharge overstamped on them and one has it double stamped. I think they are die 2 and scott UX33? I am not sure of the scott # and I am having trouble matching up the surcharge mark to the ones that I can fine. (I think there are 20 something?) The 1 seems fatter and has a snub nose on the 1. Any information on these would be much appreciated.
Thank you so much.

The two in the photo do look like die II so I would concur with your identification of UX33.  I would expect variations in the surcharge, since there are 46 different types.  But be aware that if one or more of the surcharges looks extra clean and evenly applied, it could be the press printed version, Scott UX35.  The double surcharge is a nice find, valued at $150 (or $100 if the card has been pre-printed).

-Mark Leon

I deal in United States Stamps
American Art Glass
and Halloween Costumes!

Stamps (Philately)

Mark Leon

I am a collector of United States postage stamps, and also a stamp dealer. I`m a member of the American Philatelic Society (APS). My principle area of interest and expertise is in United States Stamps.

I've been selling stamps on the internet since early 1996. I maintain a stamp web page that concentrates on mint US stamps issued generally between 1890 and 2009. I'm an active seller on since 1996, under the user id "mleon". You can find my web page at

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in computer science from the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, 1984.