Stamps (Philately)/Cottrell Press, pnc's

Say Mark,
         Good evening from Arizona and I trust you are well. Here is the conundrum :

Recently acquired collection from golf buddy's widow and already wish I had left things alone ..........

Mint Condition continuous ribbon (folded in multiples of ten) of 60 count 4 cents denomination stamps with 1890's Stagecoach Image showing plate #3 to stamp 18
AND plate #4 to stamp 42.  (Counting left to right)
       Can you assist with a ballpark valuation please?

Best regards, Johnathon

The coil stamp you describe is Scott number 1898A, issued in 1982.  Plate number coils (PNCs) are typically collected in strips of five, with the plate number appearing in the center stamp.  Such strips of 1898A are valued at 90 cents apiece in mint condition, showing either plate number 3 or plate number 4.

Now, regarding your observation that in a continuous strip of 60 stamps, you're seeing two different plate numbers, I offer you this excerpt from

"The Cottrell presses used two semi-circular curved plates that formed a cylindrical surface when joined on the press. The edges of the two semi-circular plates butting together caused a vertical joint line to be printed between the numbered stamp of a coil and the stamp to its right. The two, paired plates also had unique plate numbers, which caused the plate numbers to alternate every 24 stamps (the width of each plate)."

-Mark Leon

I deal in United States Stamps
American Art Glass
and Halloween Costumes!

Stamps (Philately)

Mark Leon

I am a collector of United States postage stamps, and also a stamp dealer. I`m a member of the American Philatelic Society (APS). My principle area of interest and expertise is in United States Stamps.

I've been selling stamps on the internet since early 1996. I maintain a stamp web page that concentrates on mint US stamps issued generally between 1890 and 2009. I'm an active seller on since 1996, under the user id "mleon". You can find my web page at

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in computer science from the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, 1984.