Stamps (Philately)/free stamped letter

Question
Terry I have a letter dated 1788 from New York signed by Secretary of war,  Henry Knox.   The letter has no stamp, but the word free where a stamp usually goes on a letter.  Please advise to the added value of this signed letter. JIM REIS

Answer
Hello Jim,

Thanks for your letter.

The "free" designation on the front of the envelope is a courtesy that was allowed to politicians and armed forces throughout our history.  

There are collectors that specialize in collecting letters, signatures and envelopes of notable people.  If your envelope contains a letter inside, it is more desirable to a collector.  All that being said, the list value of what you have is speculative.  A lot depends on demand, condition and authenticity.   If genuine, I would place a list value of $15 to $20 on what you have--even more if there is a letter inside.    I suggest getting the item authenticated, making sure it is genuine.    

Nice find for your collection!

Thanks again for your question and let mw know if I can be of any more help.

Terry

Stamps (Philately)

Terry Tipton