Stamps (Philately)/India Service stamps

I am studying the handstamped overprints for postal tax, 1971-73 (Refugee Relief). I am now attending to the service stamps with these and realize that I have a very poor understanding of service stamps in general. Were they used by all branches of government? By state and local officials and employees as well as those of the national government? Did military personnel use them? How were they distributed? Were they ever available in post offices? How did collectors obtain mint service stamps? I will be very grateful for your help. Thank you.

Hi Nick,
Thanks for your query. In India Service stamps are used for official mails posted by State and Central Government establishments and Semi-Government establishments. Service stamps are made available to Government offices through Post Office treasuries. Hope this reply is helpful to you.

Stamps (Philately)

Prashant H. Pandya

I can answer queries related to Modern Postal History of India, Indian Postal Stationery, Baroda and Rajpipla State Postal History and fiscals. Please no questions about valuation of stamps or any philatelic material.

Involved in philatelic activities for more than 30 years. As a collector I have actively participated in State, National and International level Philatelic Exhibitions, writing articles on various aspects of philately. I am also a web master and maintaining philatelic web sites for the promotion of philately.

President: Baroda Philatelic Society
Moderator : Indian Philatelists' Forum (A web based e-group promoting Indian Philately. -
Secretary: Philatelic Congress of India
India Study Circle for Philately, U.K.
Association International des Journalistes Philatéliques (AIJP)
Philatelic Webmasters' Association
Volunteer Editor for (Editing Recreation/Collecting/Stamps Category)

1. Vadophil- Quarterly News Bulletin of Baroda Philatelic Society (Also an editor of the journal)
2. India Post - Journal of India Study Circle for Philately
3. Ind Dak
4. GPA Newsletter
5. A Guide to Modern Indian Postal Stationery, Vol. I (Envelopes)
6. Various Philatelic Souvenirs published during philatelic exhibitions.
7. - Website for the promotion of Indian Philately

B. Sc. (Microbiology)

Have won Silver, Large Silver, Vermeil and Large Vermeil medals with special prizes for my collections on Postal Stationery of India, Philavision, Shahastrabdi (Millennium) and The Story of Milk at State, Regional, National and International level.