Stamps (Philately)/1898 proprietary stamps

Morning. I have come into possession of 4 non-cancelled proprietary stamps.(1) 1/8 cent, (1) 1/4 cent (1) 3/8 cent and (1) 5/8 cent stamp all dated 1898 all with battleships on them. They are in mint condition. I was wondering if you had any idea the value on them. I can send pictures if you like just email me an address to send them to.

We have come into many old stamps in my wife's great aunts trunk since we came into possession of and I have no doubt I will have more questions, Thank you.

The stamps you describe are Scott numbers RB20, RB21, RB22 and RB23.  There are actually two perforation varieties of this battleship revenue issue - rouletted and hyphen hole.  It takes a practiced eye to tell the difference between the two.  The current catalog (retail) value for these issues in fault-free, eye-appealing condition ranges 25 to 50 cents apiece depending on the perforation type.

-Mark Leon

I deal in United States Stamps
American Art Glass
and Halloween Costumes!

Stamps (Philately)

Mark Leon

I am a collector of United States postage stamps, and also a stamp dealer. I`m a member of the American Philatelic Society (APS). My principle area of interest and expertise is in United States Stamps.

I've been selling stamps on the internet since early 1996. I maintain a stamp web page that concentrates on mint US stamps issued generally between 1890 and 2009. I'm an active seller on since 1996, under the user id "mleon". You can find my web page at

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in computer science from the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, 1984.