Stamps (Philately)/1981 Give to Easter Seals stamp

I found one 1981 Easter Seals Postage stamp amongst some Easter Seals stickers my Mom had.  I was wondering about its value if I were to use it now or is it considered a collectors item?  
Should I use it or should I save it?

Hi Mary,
  While the SCOTT Specialized catalog for US Postage stamps does carry information about Christmas Seals from their earliest issue (1907) until 1979 (though Christmas Seals continue today), there is only a slight reference to Easter Seals in the catalog.  So as a point of reference for value of the stamp, Easter Seals are not listed.

However, a quick check of eBay would suggest that a 1981 Easter Seal would have little monetary value.  Maybe $1 - $2.  I found this set:

On the site, which is a combination of 1952 and 1961 Easter Seals, totaling about 20 Seals all together for around $5.

Officially Easter and Christmas seals are not "postage stamps", as they do not carry any postal value (i.e. they can't be used for postage, you still need stamps on the envelope to get the letter there).  Their value is in raising awareness for the cause (and money for the programs).  Christmas seals and Easter seals aren't officially "sold" they are given to participants as a gift based on their donation to the cause as a means of acknowledging contribution to the cause.  Christmas seals focus more on Lung Disease (as was started in 1907) and child issues, while Easter Seals are associated with Autism and similar disabilities.

It might be a nice way to remember your mom, or using it will not be a great monetary loss.  Maybe you can decide based on what you think she would like most for it.
Hope that helps,

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton

My expertise is in US, but I have a lot of exposure to worldwide, and with wide reference material, I will do what I can to answer questions about global stamps. In US I have extensive experience in all aspects (does include Administrative overprints for Cuba, China, Puerto Rico etc.). Also, Hawaii general issue and Revenue (pre-statehood). Of course still building knowledge but have been collecting since 1980. Air Mail is a favorite area, but not a limitation. Two specialty areas are Large Banknote issues, and Washington/Franklin identification. Strong experience in Carrier & Locals, Private Die (Also known as M&M for "Match & Medicine" but also includes some playing card and perfume stamp issues.) Recently have been building more back-of-book experience, especially around Official, Newspaper, Revenue and tax editions. Some covers, and cancellations, but not my strong suit. Another area I'm recently diving into. What I can't do: Anything non-US, as it's just not an area I focus on.

30+ years of learning the hard way. A lot of passion for collecting and dealing (as I do both). I don't consider it a hobby... I consider it a serious pursuit that I'm able to do in the hours I'm not occupied by annoying things like sleep. I work closely with some of the global leaders in the expertizing and identification field. Have co-authored several papers (with Mr. William Weiss Jr.) related to identification, as well as tool set to help with quickly identifying the more challenging areas of Washington Franklin. Strong experience in paper types and coil validation.

Member of APS #222356.

1870 - 1879 Large Banknote Issues - Easy Identification (co-authored with William Weiss Jr). Washington-Franklin - Easy Identification (co-authored with William Weiss Jr.) Detecting Fakes, Alterations and Counterfeits (APS Summer Session Expertizing Session materials with William Weiss Jr.)

Thousands and thousands of hours of pouring over hundreds of collections. 30+ years as a collector-to-dealer, avid student of philatelic study. Pre-1900 variation is fascinating, and it seems even after all these years, that I make some discovery every time I look at a new example. APS Summer Session - Fundamentals of Expertizing 2014

100's too numerous to mention.