Stamps (Philately)/JOHN BASSETT MOORE

Question
Can you tell me how I can determine if a full sheet of stamps with John Bassett Moore are from the 1960-s or the later reprinted version. I believe there is something called tagging which requires ultra violet lights,but is there a way to tell the difference  without any use of mechanical devices?How much would a full sheet be worth of each version? In perfect condition.

Answer
Hi Brian,
Thanks for the question.
Brian, as you state there are 2 different varieties of this stamp. The 1st untagged variety was issued on Dec 3, 1966, and is listed in the Scott Catalog as Cat# 1295, the later tagged variety was issued on April 3, 1973 and is listed as Cat# 1295a. Now, as far as distinguishing the 2 variety apart, some stamps can be identified by the number in the margin (Plate Number), but both of these varieties were issued with the same 2 numbers so they can not be identified that way. I'm afraid the only way on this issue is with a UV Light (shortwave), the tagging will glow green.
Now as for the value, although these have a catalog value of $10ea for the Untagged #1295 and $8.75ea for the tagged #1295a. in general these sell anywhere from below face value to up to about $7.50, but these are plentiful so they take a long time to sell. As for the complete sheet, I do see some listed on Ebay in the $700-$800 range, but to be honest there is not a lot of demand for a complete sheet at that price, because of the large initial investment and the very long and not so large payback (a dealer would have to pay below face value for the sheet). The price you get will more depend on how long you are willing to take to sell them, there is little difference between the 2 varieties in actual value.
Thanks again for the question, I hope this helps.
Mike

Stamps (Philately)

Mike Stern