Stamps (Philately)/franklin oval 2 cent red

Question
QUESTION: Hi Scott,

I have found a red oval 2 cent stamp with Ben Franklin embossed.  I have been looking around and I saw that it is normally part of an envelope and people cut out the stamp.  I also saw that if they are cut to shape the value is even less.

However, I have stared at this for a while and scanned and zoomed in on it and it does not seem to have been cut from an envelope (or if it has, then someone did a REALLY great job of it.  The coloring and shape are completely uniform around the entire outside edge).

So I thought I would do some more digging in case this one is different from most others for some reason.

Thanks,
Jarrod

ANSWER: Hi Jarrod, can you send me a high definition photo or scan of the piece?
So far, you are quite right.  Postal stationary cut to shape is like having a stamp with a giant crease and a thin in terms of how it diminishes its value.

But let's have a look.  I have a feeling I may know what's going on but need to see it.
Thanks,
Scott

franklin 2 cent
franklin 2 cent  
QUESTION: Thanks.  Here's the image

Answer
Hi Jarrod,
  This is a design U91 Die 4, Scott #U411.  While a bit soiled it does appear in this image as unused.  That's the good news.
  Now the not so great news.  This is one of the later postal stationary pieces, with U91 Die 4 entering use around 1910.  As a cut square it would have a catalog value of 65cents (a $1.25 if it was entire envelope).  So not a piece of great value.
  The embossing shows easily as the bright white lines in Washington's pony tail, and down the shirt color.  We can tell this is a Die 4 by looking at the front of the bust (complete, sharp corner at top edge), while the lettering is very uniform an neat, especially in the "S"s, and the very clean clarity of the inner oval around Washington's figure.  This is a piece on white, which occurs only in the #U411.  This is no where near dark enough background to be amber or buff which are the other two options for the U91 Die 4.
  Looking at the cut to shape, it clearly is just a nice job.  The easiest place to see variation is in the outside edge just below the C in "Cents", and upper left just above the D in "United".

These postal stationary pieces can be tricky.  But one of the best ways to see the embossing is scan it and look for the white lines, or dip it in lighter fluid (won't hurt it, you can also use watermark fluid which is just re-badged lighter fluid...).  When it is drying, these lines will "flash" white for a few seconds.  But in this scan, the bright lines created are clear indication of the embossing.
Hope that helps.
-Scott

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton