Stamps (Philately)/plate numbers

when stamps are produced, there are 200 stamps printed and distributed as 4 panes of 50.a plate number is printed in the corner of question is-is the same plate number on all 4 panes or are there 4 different plate numbers? also on 4 stamp blocks with plate numbers, are they totally different plate numbers or can a pane of 50 and a block of 4 have the same plate number?   THANK YOU

On issues with plates of 200 subjects in four panes of 50, all four panes have the same plate number, and many stamps are produced using that plate.  Also, most issues were produced using multiple plates (due to the fact that they wear out), each with a unique number.  Thus a collection of plate blocks of four of one issue could have different numbers.

-Mark Leon

I deal in United States Stamps
American Art Glass
and Halloween Costumes!

Stamps (Philately)

Mark Leon

I am a collector of United States postage stamps, and also a stamp dealer. I`m a member of the American Philatelic Society (APS). My principle area of interest and expertise is in United States Stamps.

I've been selling stamps on the internet since early 1996. I maintain a stamp web page that concentrates on mint US stamps issued generally between 1890 and 2009. I'm an active seller on since 1996, under the user id "mleon". You can find my web page at

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in computer science from the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, 1984.