Stamps (Philately)/Revenue stamps

Question
Stamps
Stamps  
Dear Sir,

I found a strange lot of stamps in an envelope in an old book I was given by my grandmother. I have done an extensive research online, but there is extremely little information about those. All I could find was that they are Austro-Hungarian revenue stamps. I would like to ask you whether this is true and if they have any value at all? Thank you very much for your time and consideration!

Alex

Answer
Hi Alexander,
  An interesting group.  These are in fact Asutro-Hungarian revenue stamps.  That's the good news.  The bad news is, they are rather unpopular, which makes the value rather limited.  The lot itself is worth maybe $30.  The most interesting are your two lower right corner in the photo, because they have clear usage marking.  It clearly shows 89 IX 2, which is a common way of expressing dates on these issues.  1889, September (roman numeral IX for month), 2nd.
  I'm unable to see the dates if they are present on the other stamps, as the image quality is too faint.
As you noted, there is actually very little information available about these stamps as country boundaries were divided.
Hope that helps.
Scott

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton