Stamps (Philately)/stamp identity

Question
unknown
unknown  
Mike,
Thanks for your reply.  I have tried again to send the image of this stamp. Hope it comes through this time.  I think it is a beautiful stamp and I would like to have one if I know where to look.

Thanks,

bill

Answer
Hi Bill,
Thanks for question and the picture, this stamp is known as a local stamp which were used by independent delivery services, there were many around back in the mid 19th century. This one was issued back in 1860 by City Dispatch in Philadelphia, PA. It is listed in the Scott Specialized Catalog as Cat# 41L1 with a catalog value of $7.50 in unused condition. This is actually harder to find with a legitimate usage and has a Cat value of $50 in used condition, and $500 used on a period letter.
The best way to find one is probably on a site such as Ebay, you can try searching using the catalog number, or a general search using "local" in the United States stamp category, or a similar search. Please note that there are a lot of reproduction of some of these stamps so it is not advised to pay a lot for one of these.
Hope this helps and good luck in your search.
Thanks again for the question,
Mike  

Stamps (Philately)

Mike Stern