Stamps (Philately)/Value of US revenue stamp on original 1867 Warranty Deed

Question
Please advise the value of a one dollar  US revenue stamp in great condition on original Mortgage Deed from 1867.
Thank you,

Answer
Hi Linda,
  Given your description it must certainly be a R73 (SCOTT catalog number for this stamp).  Assuming it's a rectangular stamp, taller than it is, wide, red (or reddish from color drift over the years) it would then need to be determined if it is perforated, or imperforate.  If it is imperforate (all 4 sides straight edges cut by scissor usually), then it's a R73a.  This stamp has a catalog value of $27.50.  If the stamp is perforated (holes punched all around the stamp, and then separated from the sheet), then it would be an R73c.  This stamp has a better value at $300.
  This is for used value.  But applied to original document you may find a slight increase of 10% - 20%.  That's the good news.  The bad news is, unless it's in immaculate shape, you're unlikely to find a buyer who will pay catalog value for it.  It could be worth more if you can find some specific historical reference to the property or owner.  Obviously the more prominent the person, the greater value of the document.  If it's a garden variety document, it won't garner much interest from collectors.  As stamp collecting goes, the number of fanatics is dwindling, and for Revenue stamps, that's doubly so.
  If you take it to a dealer, they may offer you %15 - %30 of its catalog value (condition dependent).  If you sell it on eBay, you should expect a long wait, and usually around %20 - %25 of catalog value for revenue stamps.
Hope that helps.
-Scott

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton