Stamps (Philately)/The Regent World Stamp Album

Question
I am an intermediate stamp collector with about 12,000 stamps.  I prefer older stamps (pre 1950) and unfortunately started out with a Harris Senior Statesman back in the mid 1970s. Typically this album has one or two pages per major country covering pre 1940 stamps.  I am looking for an album that covers 1840 to 1950 to supplement what I have now  I don't want to spend 100s of dollars.  In my possession I have a Scott International Album Part 1 but it is unfortunately missing some pages and the paper seems a bit flimsy.  I also have a Regent World Stamp album, but its binder has come apart.

Question:  What would you recommend for a pre 1950 stamp album?

Answer
Kevin,
  Well you have two conflicting interests.  You want a better international album that's cheap... it really doesn't exist.  There are international albums, and many options, but none of them are low cost.  Harris albums are as cheap as they come, and one thing most dislike about them are the paper is just, paper.  No heavy stock.
  The other albums like Scott or Heirloom are expensive because they are high quality.  If you really want to protect your stamps, you need to invest in good albums.
  There are two alternatives, but likely you won't be thrilled with either and that is a) make you own.  Get Lighthouse binders and hard stock, and print up your own.  This is a TON of work, but will be a low cost (and you'll then understand why they charge so much for good albums, because they don't just pop out of a pudding tin).
  The second option is to go with a stock album.  These are usually not as good for display, but if you get the right clear pages they can be, and they are great for protecting a stamp.  You can then use a make labels with a small label printer (around $100 for a really good one), and place them on the ends of each row.  Another labor intensive process, but cheaper and easier than making full scale albums.
  The third option is, look for cheap collections of international stamps on ebay or someone selling a used album (album set).  This may be your best option.  The problem is, sometimes these will not be as pretty.  They may have mounts that have been torn off of positions or covering stamp varieties that you don't already have.  But if you want low cost, that is your best option.
What you are looking for otherwise, doesn't exist.
Hope that helps,
-S

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton