Stamps (Philately)/1902 15cent clay outer lines?

Question
clay 15cents line
clay 15cents line  
Received a stamp of  us scott  309 with a straight sided top and right with line...  is this a rarity at all?

Answer
Hi Brian,
  It's not really considered a rarity.  These stamps, like many of the era, were printed in large sheets, in panes in this case, sheets of 400, with panes of 100 each.  To help in the guiding of the cutting of the pain, a vertical and horizontal "center line" were printed in the panes.  Where the two intersect, this is called a "Center line block" if you have the four stamps around each side of the center lines.  In this case, this is a single from the center line block (lower left).  You can identify it's position over most other stamps from the same block.  While it technicality may be "more scarce" than stamps which positions cannot be identified, it suffers through from a bigger "collector" problem, and that being of having a "natural straight edge".  Generally, in collecting it's not considered as "pretty" a stamp where straight edges occur.  And the greater "grading" rules suggest whether the edge is natural or not doesn't change the outcome.  In the case of this stamp, it then has double natural-straight edge.
  Deciding if it's of significant value, in this used otherwise very common stamp, which carries a CV of $14 even someone specifically seeking this stamp from this position is probably going to play less, because they know straight edge stamps don't carry the same value as those with perforation on all sides.
Hope that helps,
Scott

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton