Stamps (Philately)/1993 Elvis stamp color difference

Elvis stamp
Elvis stamp  

I've purchased many sheets of Elvis stamps in the past, but now I've gotten one that has a significant color change: the pink is much lighter. Is it enough of a difference to increase the value?

Attached photo has the lighter colored stamp next to a typical stamp.

Thank you!

Hi Lynn,
Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been a little under the weather lately.
Lynn, what you have, does "appear" to be an underinked error variety of the Elvis Stamp,  Scott Cat# 2721. This stamp was printed using 5 colors, magenta, cyan, yellow, black, and a (line) black. It appears the magenta is partially missing (underinked) which creates the pink appearance.
Before I talk about value, I will try to explain a little about this type of error. The problem is that there are ways to duplicate this affect on some stamps, with either chemicals or Ultraviolet (UV) light . Although I can't see the rest of the sheet it sounds like the complete sheet is like this. So most likely it is not chemically altered. It is more difficult to tell about the UV light, so I can't be sure, but because there doesn't appear to be any other colors affected, I believe it is probably genuinely underinked.
This would be of interest to collectors of either EFO's (Errors, freaks and oddities) or Elvis collectors. As for the value, only partially because of the reasons stated above, I believe these would retail on average in the $2-$4 ea. over time, or about $50- $75 if sold as a sheet.
One other thing, although you could send this to a stamp expertization service, to see if it is genuinely underinked. In my opinion it would not be worth the extra cost of at least $50, because it really would not increase the value all that much. If I thought the magenta was completely missing, it would be a different story.

Thanks again for the question,

If you would like to find out more about EFO's (Error's, Freaks and Oddities) then please visit the site of the EFOCC (Error's, Freaks and Oddities Collectors club)

Or if you would like to see examples of a lot of different EFO's then you may want to check out my Ebay or Bidstart Stores at the link below.

Stamps (Philately)

Mike Stern

My specialty is United States Errors, but I can answer most questions on United States stamps (except covers). I have been collecting U.S. stamps for about 35 years, and U.S. Errors for approximately 25 years. I have been selling both online for about 4 years. I am also a member of the APS (American Philatelic Society)

As I said above, I have been collecting U.S. stamps for about 35 years, and U.S. Errors for approximately 25 years. I have been selling both online for about 4 years, mostly on Ebay and

I am a 25+ year member of the APS

I went to 2 years of college at Wentworth Institute of Technology in Boston, and received a degree in Applied Science