Stamps (Philately)/LABELS OR ADDRESSED FIRST DAY COVERS

Question
covers with label
covers with label  

first day
first day  
Can you tell me if it really matters to first day cover collectors if their envelopes are addressed or not? Some seem to prefer them while others are reluctant to even own them. Can labels be removed without damage. Are these type in the photographs of any real value?

Answer
The preference of FDC collectors has changed.  FDC before a certain time period (sorry, I never remember the year) are only available addressed.  After that point, collectors wanted FDC with their name on them.  Then a split happened and the compromise was FDC with no address which seems to be the norm at the moment.  Removable labels were a great compromise, allowing the collector to have FDC addressed to them but with the benefit of becoming unaddressed by virtue of removing the label.  Labels are not created equal.  Lick and stick labels not a good choice.  Self adhesive, easily peelable labels are preferred as long as they leave no residue.  The address labels on your samples are not the preferred kind.  It may be possible to remove them without damaging the cover but consider the time and effort to remove the label versus the value of the unaddressed FDC.

Stamps (Philately)

Bill Lehr