Stamps (Philately)/2 cent jackson

Question
594 franklin
594 franklin  
594 franklin
594 franklin  
QUESTION: I have this postcard with a stamp on and the stamp design measure's 19 3/4 x 22 1/4 and was wondering how much is it worth? Thank you.

ANSWER: hi Stephen,
Thanks for the question,
Stephen, I wish I could tell you you hit the jackpot, but in reality the chances are not very good. The first thing you would have to do (even before the design size) is carefully check the perforation to see if they are perf 11x11. My rough measure with a piece of paper marked at 2 perfs tips on the top, did not match up to the side perfs. Although I can't tell the size of the perfs this way, it does indicate that the top and side perfs are different, (therefore not a #594). Because there are many different varieties of this stamp, and the #594 has some very small subtle differences in size, it is very easy to mis-identify. Below is a link to a very informative article From Linn's Stamp News on how to identify these stamps. Much better than I can explain in this forum.

http://www.linns.com/news/us-stamps-postal-history/2015/january/is-your-1-green-

If after all that you still think it is a #594. you would have to send it to an expertization service to verify that it actually is a 594. No collector is going to buy this as a 594 without one.
If by the very long odds that it comes back  as genuine, then it has a catalog value of $20,000 on cover. Actual market value is very speculative on such a stamp, because they don't come up very often. But in general it is usually much less than Catalog value.

Thanks again for the question, and good luck.
Mike

2 cent
2 cent  

2 cent
2 cent  
QUESTION: 1861-64 2 cent jackson stamp with the H Grill, dose that make this stamp rare? Thank you.

Answer
Hi Stephen,

Thanks again for the question.

Unfortunately I am not going to be much help on this one. The Scott's Specialized Catalog does not list this stamp with an "H" grill. It lists 7 different types of this stamp, 3 with no grill but on different papers, and 4 with different grills ("D","Z","E" and "F"), so you may want to check again, it can be very difficult sometimes to measure grills, especially if they are worn or into the edge of the stamp. Below is a link to Wikipedia with a list of grills and there sizes, plus some other very informative info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grill_%28philately%29

Below is another link to an excellent site for stamp identification "The Swedish Tiger". The link goes directly to the identification part of the site, but you may want to check out the rest.

http://www.theswedishtiger.com/ID.html

Thanks again for the question,
Mike  

Stamps (Philately)

Mike Stern