Stamps (Philately)/Franklin inverted watermark

Question
Picture back
Picture back  

Picture front
Picture front  
Hi, Scott, I got a pair of Franklin perf 10, 10 cents stamp with inverted watermark. Need some advise from you whether it is worth to send for authentication

Thanks.

Nelson

Answer
Hi Nelson,
  Well, what you have is a pair of Scott #433's.  This is a very garden variety stamp, as a used single, it has a CV of $1.  As a pair, they are worth $2.
  If you have a Scott Specialized 2016 catalog, look at page 48 (or an older one around the same page), where they describe the double line watermarks.  The 10c in perf 10 only occurred in single line watermark.  However, if you note on page 48, the double watermarks are demonstrated in all 4 orientations on a page.  Scott catalog editors are kind of lazy, and the often don't repeat this information at a change, but for single line, the same can occur.  It is only an issue of square paper fed into the machine from any one side.  They are not considered freaks or errors, at best maybe an oddity, but it's nothing unusual particularly, and in this case there is no added collector value.  I can tell you with great certainty, there is no value in having them authenticated (expertized).  It won't make them more valuable.
  There are very few watermark errors that add much value.  The most notable is the 271 and 272 (a varieties of each) where they were printed on the wrong paper, which had a USIR (revenue) watermark.  Few of the 6c and 8c receptively stamps were printed, and since US appears already in the USPS, the only ones that count are those that have a verifiable I or R (at least visible part which allows identification).  I have had a pair of 272a's for years for sale (they CV at $1,000 and I've had them up for around $300) on ebay, and I've had 0 takers (it's even certed...)  These watermark errors are for but the die-hardest of collectors even on the best of days.
Wish I had better news for you, but this is not really so unusual.
Hope that helps,
Scott

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton