Stamps (Philately)/Scott 69 with PFC

QUESTION: I'm at the very beginning of trying to understand the value of an inherited collection of my fathers.  I have a Scott #69 XF, NG, with PFC# 156724.

My questions are:
The stamp looks postmarked but on the certificate site it looks unused - does this matter?  Also, if used after certification I'm scratching my head as why anyone would do that and potentially reduce the value.

Thank you!

ANSWER: Hi Brad,
  Can you send me photo/scan of the stamp and the cert?  I really need to see them both before I can answer your question.

Scott 69
Scott 69  
QUESTION: Here's a picture of the stamp including the certificate number.  I haven't found in his collection where he has the actual certificate but looked at the PFC site which showed the stamp, however w/o postmark.

Ok, had a look at the stamp and the PFC site.  These two stamps are not the same... One thing you should always be weary of is when something doesn't match a description, some collectors/dealers will "reuse" something already marked, particularly when it's close.  What may have happened in this case even, is the 69 in the sleeve was the one he had before acquiring the nicer one.  When it arrived, he replaced in his album, the mint 69, and took the prior cancelled one out of it's place (just speculating, but this happens all the time).

But close look at the two stamps reveals easily that they are not the same stamp, hence why the post mark on the one you have in hand.  That cert # next to it is not it's cert.  Look at the right side of the two stamps.  The stamp with the cancellation has the design touching the perforation (this makes the stamp VG in fact, and not XF).  The stamp in the image on the PF site is perfectly centered.  If you don't have a stamp and cert in hand, it's not a certed stamp.

This used 69 at VG has a catalog value of $20.  On the other hand, if you can produce the cert and the 69 from the PF site, at current catalog value it would be worth about $4,250 (though a little less with the noted pinholes, it could reduce the value by about half actually).  Which is why even at the time, it was marked as $550.  I assume that was some years ago though.
Hope you can find the XF stamp with the cert... then you've got something.
Best regards,

Scott 69
Scott 69  
QUESTION: Found it!!  You were right!  My father put the better stamp in his bound collection and the lesser in the file box.

Spectacular.  And yes, that is a very nice 69.  I assume that's in a hingless album.  Be careful with those, they can sometimes wear out, and the stamps can get loose.

A very common habit among collectors to follow that practice.

That is a very nice looking 69, and seems to be of the same centering of the cert.  Now... you just need to find the cert!  And then you have a very nice stamp indeed.

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton

My expertise is in US, but I have a lot of exposure to worldwide, and with wide reference material, I will do what I can to answer questions about global stamps. In US I have extensive experience in all aspects (does include Administrative overprints for Cuba, China, Puerto Rico etc.). Also, Hawaii general issue and Revenue (pre-statehood). Of course still building knowledge but have been collecting since 1980. Air Mail is a favorite area, but not a limitation. Two specialty areas are Large Banknote issues, and Washington/Franklin identification. Strong experience in Carrier & Locals, Private Die (Also known as M&M for "Match & Medicine" but also includes some playing card and perfume stamp issues.) Recently have been building more back-of-book experience, especially around Official, Newspaper, Revenue and tax editions. Some covers, and cancellations, but not my strong suit. Another area I'm recently diving into. What I can't do: Anything non-US, as it's just not an area I focus on.

30+ years of learning the hard way. A lot of passion for collecting and dealing (as I do both). I don't consider it a hobby... I consider it a serious pursuit that I'm able to do in the hours I'm not occupied by annoying things like sleep. I work closely with some of the global leaders in the expertizing and identification field. Have co-authored several papers (with Mr. William Weiss Jr.) related to identification, as well as tool set to help with quickly identifying the more challenging areas of Washington Franklin. Strong experience in paper types and coil validation.

Member of APS #222356.

1870 - 1879 Large Banknote Issues - Easy Identification (co-authored with William Weiss Jr). Washington-Franklin - Easy Identification (co-authored with William Weiss Jr.) Detecting Fakes, Alterations and Counterfeits (APS Summer Session Expertizing Session materials with William Weiss Jr.)

Thousands and thousands of hours of pouring over hundreds of collections. 30+ years as a collector-to-dealer, avid student of philatelic study. Pre-1900 variation is fascinating, and it seems even after all these years, that I make some discovery every time I look at a new example. APS Summer Session - Fundamentals of Expertizing 2014

100's too numerous to mention.