Stamps (Philately)/Misperf stamps

QUESTION: I have a full sheet of 48 severely misperfed stamps.  They are in excellent to mint condition.  Description is 13 cent USA Dance stamps (#1749-52) issued in 1978.   

Two questions.  What might this be worth as a full sheet?  And, would they be worth more if broken up.  And, if so, in what form of blocks (ie: singles, doubles, fours, eights, etc.) would have the most value?

Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Debbie, can you provide me with a photo of the stamps so I can see what kind of perforation error it has?  Perf errors are somewhat common, but they do add value to a stamp.  Some types are more than others though, and in some cases could even lower their value.  If I can see the error, I can give you a better idea.

13 cent USA Dance stamps
13 cent USA Dance stam  
QUESTION: I have attached a picture...

Hi Debbie,
  I'm so glad I asked you for the photo... This is a very interesting oddity.  (This is technically not an "error".  In philatelic terms variation is described as "Errors, Freaks, and Oddities".)  So this is not a full sheet, but rather a "pane".  The stamps are Scott #1749, 1750, 1751 and 1752.  These were in sheets of 192 (4 x 48 stamp panes).  So a full sheet would have 192 stamps on it.  Still, it is an interesting piece.
  What makes this one most interesting is the top row which is clearly cut at an angle, and probably the reason for the misplacement of the actual perforation.  The double-perf at the top creates a small row of about 1 centimeter across the top set of stamps.  That is meant to be the margin between the top pane and the lower pane (of which this one is).
  The pane itself would be worth about $10, but with the oddity, for collectors of such pieces, it would likely have a value of $30 - $100 depending on the collector.
One of the more interesting oddities I've come across in modern philatelics.
Hope that helps,

Stamps (Philately)

Scott Payton

My expertise is in US, but I have a lot of exposure to worldwide, and with wide reference material, I will do what I can to answer questions about global stamps. In US I have extensive experience in all aspects (does include Administrative overprints for Cuba, China, Puerto Rico etc.). Also, Hawaii general issue and Revenue (pre-statehood). Of course still building knowledge but have been collecting since 1980. Air Mail is a favorite area, but not a limitation. Two specialty areas are Large Banknote issues, and Washington/Franklin identification. Strong experience in Carrier & Locals, Private Die (Also known as M&M for "Match & Medicine" but also includes some playing card and perfume stamp issues.) Recently have been building more back-of-book experience, especially around Official, Newspaper, Revenue and tax editions. Some covers, and cancellations, but not my strong suit. Another area I'm recently diving into. What I can't do: Anything non-US, as it's just not an area I focus on.

30+ years of learning the hard way. A lot of passion for collecting and dealing (as I do both). I don't consider it a hobby... I consider it a serious pursuit that I'm able to do in the hours I'm not occupied by annoying things like sleep. I work closely with some of the global leaders in the expertizing and identification field. Have co-authored several papers (with Mr. William Weiss Jr.) related to identification, as well as tool set to help with quickly identifying the more challenging areas of Washington Franklin. Strong experience in paper types and coil validation.

Member of APS #222356.

1870 - 1879 Large Banknote Issues - Easy Identification (co-authored with William Weiss Jr). Washington-Franklin - Easy Identification (co-authored with William Weiss Jr.) Detecting Fakes, Alterations and Counterfeits (APS Summer Session Expertizing Session materials with William Weiss Jr.)

Thousands and thousands of hours of pouring over hundreds of collections. 30+ years as a collector-to-dealer, avid student of philatelic study. Pre-1900 variation is fascinating, and it seems even after all these years, that I make some discovery every time I look at a new example. APS Summer Session - Fundamentals of Expertizing 2014

100's too numerous to mention.