Stamps (Philately)/Elvis stamp / Scott Cat# 2721 / some colours completely missing

Question
Elvis stamp in blue
Elvis stamp in blue  
Hello Mike,
i am writing from Germany.

Years ago I've gotten a pair of stamps  that has a significant color change / some colours are completely missing.

The stamps are mint / original gum (i think).

See the Attached photo.

Is it enough of a difference to increase the value? What do think about that ?

Thank you

Udo

Answer
Hi Udo,
Thanks for the question,

Udo, the quick answer, is if it can be determined that it is genuine, then it certainly would increase the value substantially.
This stamp was issued on January 8, 1993, and it was printed using 5 colors, (magenta, cyan, yellow, black, and a line black). I can't tell from the photo if all of the magenta, and yellow colors are missing or just most of them. If you have a strong magnifying glass then check if you can see either of those two colors present. If you can see them, then it would not be a major error (color omitted error), thus not as valuable even if genuine.
This is not listed as a color omitted error in the Scott Catalog so it has not been reported before.
Now the hard part, trying to tell if it is genuine, the problem is there are ways to fake an error like this. Chemicals can be used to remove the 2 colors, and the stamp can be regummed, or in some cases UV light can also be used to fade/remove the colors. As you mentioned you didn't seem sure if it was the original gum.. From the normal copy I looked at, the gum is what I would call a light yellow brown color and quite smooth. If you have a normal copy to compare it to, that is the best way to tell. There are other indications of regumming, but they are a harder to see  . If it is very different then it is an indication that is has been altered, but still not definitive, as I don't know if more than one type of gum was used on this issue. If UV light was used to remove the color then it usually discolors the paper slightly.
So, after all of that if you still believe it may be genuine, (and one or both of the colors are completely omitted) then you would have to send it to a stamp expertization service for a certificate. If you would like, I can give you some of the recognizes services, if you decide to send it out. Unfortunately I believe they start at around $35 plus postage.

I hope this helps some, of course after you check it out , you can do a follow-up if you have any more questions.

Thanks again for the question,
Mike

If you would like to find out more about EFO's (Error's, Freaks and Oddities) then please visit the site of the EFOCC (Error's, Freaks and Oddities Collectors club)

http://www.efocc.org/

Or if you would like to see examples of a lot of different EFO's then you may want to check out my Ebay or Bidstart Stores at the link below.
Ebay
http://www.mikesstamps.com
Bidstart
http://www.bidstart.com/Mikes-Stamps_QQstorenameQQ100122QQuseridQQshop  

Stamps (Philately)

Mike Stern