Stamps (Philately)/Color error

Question
Flag errors
Flag errors  

Flag errors back
Flag errors back  
Hello Mike,
A block of ten, 13c Flag over Independence Hall (Scott #1622) seems to have multiple errors; an obvious color error of the star field on the stamp second down in the left column, a blue and red ink line between the center vertical perforations on all ten stamps, red color impinging into the blue areas of the first, third and fifth stamps of the left column, and the ends of the top four red stripes of each flag nearest the blue field are not fully printed.
There is an obvious fault, a stain on the very stamp with the star field color error. How would this group of errors be categorized? And how badly does the stain diminish its value?
Thanks, Ken

Answer
Hi Ken,
Thanks for the question,
Ken, I have actually seen this error a few times, this is what is know as inking error , in this case (as you correctly noted) the red ink has bled into the blue (creating a maroon like color of the star field). Although not a common error, it certainly is not a rarity either.
The minor variations you mention do not really add any value. And the line between the stamps is not an error, it is actually a result of the type of printing press used (The Huck Press), and appears on many sheets in various amounts and colors (you are not alone as many people when they see this, think it is an error).
This would be of interest to collectors of EFO's (Errors, freaks and oddities).
I believe the strips I sold retailed for about $40 max, and this was for a strip of 5 with 2 of the flags the maroon color. So yours being just the single error stamp (in the block) with the defect on reverse, I would estimate it in the $10 - $20 range.
Sorry Ken, I wish I had better news.
Thanks again for the question.
Mike

If you would like to find out more about EFO's (Error's, Freaks and Oddities) then please visit the site of the EFOCC (Error's, Freaks and Oddities Collectors club)

http://www.efocc.org/

Or if you would like to see examples of a lot of different EFO's then you may want to check out my Ebay or Bidstart Stores at the link below.
Ebay
http://www.mikesstamps.com
Bidstart
http://www.bidstart.com/Mikes-Stamps_QQstorenameQQ100122QQuseridQQshop  

Stamps (Philately)

Mike Stern