Starting a Small Business/establishing in UK

Dear Lee,

I read your profile and glad to know that you assist entrepreneurs to establish in UK. First of all, let me share a little about myself. I am a business graduate from University of Greenwich, London (batch 2008), now back in India and carrying on with the family business. Our business portfolio is diversified into various industries and markets and we have a good reputation. I personally wish to divert from the hardcore steel, cement, Edible oil businesses that are our major areas of business. Therefore, i was wondering if I could find somebody, who at the beginning stage could share some knowledge and help me understand what needs to be done if I want to establish in UK.

Now talking specifically about my field of interest. Restaurant / Cafe business is one where I find my deep interests. How shall I go about it, and it would be great if you can outline a brief step by step process which can help me better understand.

Thank you very much!

Hope to take this conversation ahead

Abhinav Arora
New Delhi, India

First of all you need to obtain your visa to live in the UK.

Now find your potential business or franchise.

Work out if you will have enough potential buyers to make a go of the business.  Remember the UK, as is Europe, the USA etc is in a recession.

Prepare your business plan and obtaine funding.

Set up your tax and VAT affairs.

Ensure that you have the various health certificates and insurance.

Set up your resturant. Employ and train staff. Decide on your menu with your chef.

Opening marketing.

Open and keep marketing and training.

Good luck.  

Starting a Small Business

Lee Lister

If you are a serious entrepreneur and want to set up your own business or ensure that your existing business is more profitable then let me assist you. I answer questions on business start up, business strategy, business models, business planning, marketing plans, marketing strategy, branding, business tune ups and business improvement. I do not answer any legal, tax or accountancy questions - you should see your own professional adviser about these. If you cannot be bothered to read and rate my answers - I can't be bothered to answer yours! If you have a small internet based company, I would welcome your help in completing a survey and helping me with my Masters Dissertation. I am researching how a small company can build its brand and grow quickly using social media marketing. The survey takes 4 minutes and all information is confidential and will NEVER be used for marketing purposes. Thank you in advance. The link to the survey is below:

Over 20 year’s management, IT and business consultancy experience with businesses large and small as well as being a serial entrepreneur.

A prolific writer and published author, I write on entrepreneurship, project, bid management and career improvement.

BA (Hons) Economics MSc Marketing Management , studying for DBA. Numerous business qualifications.