Starting a Small Business/Goatscaping Business

Question
Hello Lee,

I have recently become interested in starting my own goat powered landscaping business. I live in California and the popularity of these services is increasing not only here but all over the country. The idea of an eco-friendly business where I get to work with animals out in nature sounds ideal for me. The only issue is I have no idea where to start! That's is what I'm hoping you can assist me with.

How much money do you think I will need to start this business up? Should it be a local business or one I can take on the road to various jobs? Where can I obtain money to start such a business? I have never started a small business so any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.

Answer
There are a few things you need to do before you start borrowing:

1) do some research and find out if there is a demand for your potential service. Without customers you will not go far.
2) work out your numbers. What will it cost to run your business, keep your goats, run your marketing and keep tour vehicles and trailers on the road amongst other big costs.
3) work out your prices from this and then see if people will buy at this price.  Now work out your profits and see if you can live on this.
4) now write your business plan, SCORE will help you do this as well as offer advice.

It may seem boring when all you want to do is get going but a good business needs good planning and a firm foundation.

Starting a Small Business

Lee Lister