Starting a Small Business/Expanding Web Development Business

Question
Hello,

I'm running a web development & custom programming business in India since 2008. It's been a good journey till now and we have been working on many e-commerce & CMS projects for different countries in US, UK, Australia & many more.

Right now I'm running on business model where we search for project either from marketplace or get a query from our website, we create proposal and get is everything is good then we get started with project... so on.

Average time for a project range from 10-45 days only. Which is always a worry for me because I have keep searching for new projects and sometime it's very frustrating that even after 5yrs I can't get long term projects.

So I need your help for same. How can I get long term projects or get other companies to hire dedicated team from me. I know few companies who started with me in same year and now have a team size of 50+ and most of then are working on dedicated projects like all IT companies emp. do.

Please suggest how can I improve my business, expand it so I dont have to worry all day for next projects.

Right now I'm looking for projects with a minimum tenure of 12 months, so I can provide them with dedicated programmer/s and get a monthly paycheck for them.

I want to grow my company like other IT companies but I'm not where able to get any help/consulting how to do it.

I would really appreciate if you could help me for same & guide me how to expand it like other big companies.

garry

Answer
To get more short term projects to tide you over whilst you expand you need to work from the sites such as guru, rentacoder etc.

To find bigger projects you need to start tendering for projects. Most big projects either go out to tender or to trusted in place consultancies,  in each major country you will find or or more major website where these RFP's are posted. Many of these are government based. Although you are mainly website design based, there is no reason why you cannot expand to be IT programmers as well. You might need analysts and program managers as well.

To bid properly you will need to produce a bid library. This is a set of standard documents describing your company,mother way you work, etc. I would be pleased to help you set this up, and indeed help you with your first few bids.

Once you register on your chosen site, you set up your profile of the kind of projects you wish to bid for. You will then be able to search. Many of the sites give you email notifications.

As you are in a very competitive business area you will need to differentiate yourself.

You might also like to chase middle size companies by marketing directly to them.

I wish you luck.

Starting a Small Business

Lee Lister