Starting a Small Business/Tax Preparation Services

Question
David, I have processed tax returns for family members for many years. This year I'm working for one of the better known tax prep services. I am amazed at how much taxpayers are willing to pay if the fees can be taken directly from their refund. So far I've only seen one customer pay upfront to avoid the additional $60, but they were still willing to pay the $300 dollar fee to have their simple return filed. My wife has been pushing for yrs for me to start my own tax prep business. Next year I'd like to give it a shot. I really don't know how to get started; especially when it comes to taking fees directly from the taxpayer's refunds. I can't find any guidance online. Any pointers you can give me are appreciated.

Answer
The system for collecting your fee from the client's refund is a service call e-collect and is available when you efile the returns.  It works with a number of software packages.  Just do an internet search for e-collect and the name of your preferred tax preparation software and you should find all the information you need.

Starting a Small Business

David K. Staub