Starting a Small Business/Startup: Furnitures

I "was" planning to setup my own furniture workshop and sell furnitures online. But, I wanted to test the idea first as it takes some time to get good hits to your websites. So I changed my plan to become a dealer first, popularise my website and then start manufacturing my own brand furnitures. Does it make sense?

Another thing that I tried was to contact existing workshop owners to make my designs. I am not happy with the prices. For example, I gave them a design for storage; In my opinion the raw material needed was for less than 2000 indian rupee. These guys are quoating 4000 for that. This doesn't look right. Even if I include supplier margin, labour cost, it should not be more than 3000. Is this a fair proce to quote?

Could you please suggest me how should I negotiate a deal with suppliers? Usually, people might think that I will make good profit but this is not true. Also, I don't know how should I negotiate on price. Any advise? Do you think I should explain them my business idea to convince them?

Please advise. Thanks.

Lots of questions here.

First websites take a lot of time to make money unless you throw a lot of money at them.  Best to start with selling off major sites such as eBay although you should factor in delivery costs.

Existing suppliers will give you high rates because you are buying low amounts with poor credit. You need to negotiate cash prices and volume deals. Low supplier costs take time to build up. They have to also price in the fact that they have to pay for their workshops, labour etc. you need to understand this.  You do not need to explain your business idea.

Persevere with your ideas and search around for buyers, suppliers and workshops.

Starting a Small Business

Lee Lister

If you are a serious entrepreneur and want to set up your own business or ensure that your existing business is more profitable then let me assist you. I answer questions on business start up, business strategy, business models, business planning, marketing plans, marketing strategy, branding, business tune ups and business improvement. I do not answer any legal, tax or accountancy questions - you should see your own professional adviser about these. If you cannot be bothered to read and rate my answers - I can't be bothered to answer yours! If you have a small internet based company, I would welcome your help in completing a survey and helping me with my Masters Dissertation. I am researching how a small company can build its brand and grow quickly using social media marketing. The survey takes 4 minutes and all information is confidential and will NEVER be used for marketing purposes. Thank you in advance. The link to the survey is below:

Over 20 year’s management, IT and business consultancy experience with businesses large and small as well as being a serial entrepreneur.

A prolific writer and published author, I write on entrepreneurship, project, bid management and career improvement.

BA (Hons) Economics MSc Marketing Management , studying for DBA. Numerous business qualifications.