Starting a Small Business/Question

Question
Good day
Interested in finding out if it is possible to set up 2 - 3 different businesses with different names under one registered LLC.
For example lets say my company is registered as Florida Market Research Services LLC and I wanted to branch into promotional materials with a separate business name like Florida Promotional Marketing Services but dont want to form another company (escape expense of forming another company).
What are the different ways one can do this?

S. Mahabir

Answer
Yes, a single LLC can operate multiple businesses with different names. However, typically state law requires that the LLC register the other names in order to give public notice of the identity of the true business behind the business name. These filings are given different names in different states but are often called "assumed names" or "fictitious names." In addition to a requirement to register the name and pay a fee, some states also impose publishing requirements.

In your question, you mentioned the state of Florida. Florida requires registration under its Fictitious Name Act. A fictitious name application must be filed with the Division of Corporations and a fee (currently $50) must be paid at the time of filing.

In Florida, the fictitious name must also be advertised at least once in a newspaper in the county where the principal place of business will be located. The applicant is not required to file proof of advertisement but is required to certify on the application that the name has been advertised as required by the statute.

Fictitious names in Florida are valid for five years and expire on December 31 of the fifth year. Fictitious name registrations must be renewed between July 1 and December 31 of the expiration year to maintain registration.

As long as the LLC complies with the applicable fictitious name filing requirements, there are no limits on the number of business names the LLC may use.

Starting a Small Business

David K. Staub