Starting a Small Business/What decisions to make?

Hi Lee,

I am 26 years old and I have entrepreneur traits within me. I have always been someone that wanted to own my own business. The thing is that I am not sure what I want to do. I do not have any specific skills, such as trade skills nor do I do arts and crafts. My interests lie in listening to music, a vast understanding of spirituality topics, some computer skills and being a homebody. I have social abilities and it works well. After an issue that happened at work today, it makes me really want to consider having more than one money stream. But I have never been someone that 'chases' money. In fact, I do not have much interest in acquiring lots and lots of money even though I am a saver. I am not a flashy spender. The reason I was thinkin of this is because I do not like the feeling of someone else holding the 'purse strings' over my head and me just being expendable commodity. I hate that I am not entirely focused on what it is I would do. Could you give me some suggestions as well as if having multiple money streams now for me is a good idea.

I am not sure if you really are an entrepreneur, rather someone that does not wish to be controlled. Running your own business is hard and you are continually chasing suppliers and customers in order to make money. Think hard before you give up your regular job.  With respect to seeking another income stream, start slow. Search for areas that you find fun, where there are more customers than suppliers. You say you like music and spirituality. Are there classes that you can offer, an ebook you can write and publish on Kindle. Search through ebay, amazon, etsy and similar sites and see if you can find a niche you can fill. If you feel that you can offer a service, look on guru, élance, fivver and other service sites.  Lastly look locally with your local services to see if you can add to them. The SBA will also help you. As you have no specific idea at the moment, you are going to have to do a lot of research. You will probably find several opportunities, follow them, expending much enthusiasm and time, but little money and see what suits you and makes you happy. One word of warning, avoid the the get rich schemes you will see on the Internet. The only people who get rich on these are the guys selling these useless ebooks and schemes, I wish you luck in finding happiness and fulfilment in life.

Starting a Small Business

Lee Lister

If you are a serious entrepreneur and want to set up your own business or ensure that your existing business is more profitable then let me assist you. I answer questions on business start up, business strategy, business models, business planning, marketing plans, marketing strategy, branding, business tune ups and business improvement. I do not answer any legal, tax or accountancy questions - you should see your own professional adviser about these. If you cannot be bothered to read and rate my answers - I can't be bothered to answer yours! If you have a small internet based company, I would welcome your help in completing a survey and helping me with my Masters Dissertation. I am researching how a small company can build its brand and grow quickly using social media marketing. The survey takes 4 minutes and all information is confidential and will NEVER be used for marketing purposes. Thank you in advance. The link to the survey is below:

Over 20 year’s management, IT and business consultancy experience with businesses large and small as well as being a serial entrepreneur.

A prolific writer and published author, I write on entrepreneurship, project, bid management and career improvement.

BA (Hons) Economics MSc Marketing Management , studying for DBA. Numerous business qualifications.