Starting a Small Business/Tips on crowdfunding; quick question

I am a small business owner and my nephew is working on a lean start up company. He needs resources in order to develop his product. He says that crowd funding sounds like a good option but I told him that his product lacked that "sexy" appeal haha. I offered him money so that he could refine his product, but he says that he just needed to get the concept across and that I should use that money to ensure that his project gets fully funded (because on kick starter its fully funded or no dice.)

Personally, I think that a more developed product is more likely to turn heads rather than just an idea and a decent prototype, but I don't have much experience with crowd funding.

What do you think is the better strategy?
NOTE: This is more of a "poll" question, so a short rationale is all that's needed, unless you want to suggest another strategy.

MAIN QUESTION: I mostly would like some general tips on how to crowd fund effectively, that would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Thank you for submitted this question.  Not only am I am attorney who has helped many start-up businesses and small businesses over the years, I am something of an expert on crowdfunding.  Google "crowdfunding expert" and you will see many of my interviews, videos and articles.

I can probably help but need some more particulars about your nephew's start-up.  Crowdfunding is very much an art, as well as a science.  What works for one person or business, will not necessarily work for another.  I would be happy to speak to you and/or your nephew and give you some guidance.  Feel free to send me an e-mail to and we can perhaps schedule a telephone call to discuss details soon.

Kendall Almerico

Starting a Small Business

Kendall Almerico

I am available to answer questions about crowdfunding for businesses. I am available to answer questions related to how to use crowdfunding to start a business, how to use crowdfunding to grow or expand a business and questions related to equity crowdfunding and the JOBS Act. I am available to explain how anyone may use crowdfunding to start or expand their business without giving away any equity in the business, by creatively using crowdfunding to their advantage.

I am an attorney with 24 years of experience helping individuals and businesses. I am the Chief Executive Officer of a rapidly growing crowdfunding website, ClickStartMe, where my primary focus is helping people use crowdfunding to raise money to start or expand businesses.

I am a member of the Florida Bar, and belong to many crowdfunding groups online and on Linkedin. I also have held membership in many professional legal societies.

I graduated from the University of Florida with a degree in Journalism and Mass Communications, then graduated from the University of Florida College of Law with a Juris Doctor degree before becoming a practicing attorney, an entrepreneur and a businessman.

I am an AV rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell, the national lawyer ranking publication, indicating my preeminence in legal ability as well as holding the highest ethical rating that publication grants. I am also a Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer as recognized by the Florida Bar, a distinction held by fewer than 3% of all attorneys practicing in the state of Florida.