Starting a Small Business/company shares

Question
Hello, Lee Lister

I recently started working for a start-up company as a web developer.

Since it is a start-up the pay is not that great, but I was given company shares as 'payment'.

I do not have a business degree nor knowledge of shares/stocks.

So, what exactly can I do with these shares?

How can I generate wealth with the shares?

Thank you

Answer
You own a share of the company. Shares produced dividends or payments every year that the directors decide to issue a dividend. This will only happen if the company makes a profit and has enough spare cash. If the company becomes super successful then another company may buy you out and you get a share of the proceeds. It is up to you to decide how successful you think the company will be and what you will get out of this. In a start up probably not a lot but at least the company has given you the chance to gain from your hard work which is a good thing. If it is instead of a substantial amount of income, not a good thing. If it is to ret round legal minimum wage rules it is not a good thing. Up to you to research shares on the Internet, discuss the matter with people you trust and make a decision as to your future. Take into account any rules as to dividend payments on these shares, the type of shares you have been given and if you have to give up the shares if you leave the company's employment.

Starting a Small Business

Lee Lister