Starting a Small Business/

I am interested in running a small business, but have no idea what to do/where to start. Googling online re this seems to lead nowhere with me reading ridiculous websites offering unlikely small-business ideas which don't work or require money or a lot of degrees etc.

Do you know of any Internet sources I may have missed which describe many ideas for self-employment? What about websites which describe examples of self-employment in way more detail? Thanks a lot,

You need to start by deciding what you want to sell to whom. For example do you want to sell goods or provide a service. Find something you will enjoy. Then research to find out what people might buy this stuff. Look at the big sites like eBay, Amazon, GumTree, Fiverr, Guru, élance, etsy etc and see what is being sold. Resist the junk sites that offer you loads of money for little effort, these guys are selling junk ebooks and the only ones making money are them.

Once you know what to do then you can narrow down your search and start finding out what your products are. Then get an established book on starting that kind of business and learn your trade. I have several such books on Amazon that may help you. Good luck.

Starting a Small Business

Lee Lister

If you are a serious entrepreneur and want to set up your own business or ensure that your existing business is more profitable then let me assist you. I answer questions on business start up, business strategy, business models, business planning, marketing plans, marketing strategy, branding, business tune ups and business improvement. I do not answer any legal, tax or accountancy questions - you should see your own professional adviser about these. If you cannot be bothered to read and rate my answers - I can't be bothered to answer yours! If you have a small internet based company, I would welcome your help in completing a survey and helping me with my Masters Dissertation. I am researching how a small company can build its brand and grow quickly using social media marketing. The survey takes 4 minutes and all information is confidential and will NEVER be used for marketing purposes. Thank you in advance. The link to the survey is below:

Over 20 year’s management, IT and business consultancy experience with businesses large and small as well as being a serial entrepreneur.

A prolific writer and published author, I write on entrepreneurship, project, bid management and career improvement.

BA (Hons) Economics MSc Marketing Management , studying for DBA. Numerous business qualifications.