Starting a Small Business/Gardening Business

Hi my boyfriend has his own small gardening business, but has very few clients and i am trying to think of ways to get more people interested.

He studied a gardening design course at uni and is very good at what he does however we the recession no one is having there gardens designed, he is now doing more maintenance then designing but he is struggling to find enough clients to keep the business going.

Do you have any suggestions?

This is always a problem for companies such as gardening businesses. You do not state which country you are from, some countries/states rely on gardeners more.  To look at both sides of your business:

This really is more a case of foot slogging than anything else.  Choose a district that you wish to work in that has enough spare cash to pay you and gardens that are big enough to be a little bit difficult to maintain and leaflet and cold call them.  You could try a special offer of 6 visits for the price of 5 for example to pique interest.  Do not do the "first visit free" or you will end up with clearing overgrown gardens and then not getting repeat business.

Look for consolidation websites where people can find tradespeople.  Do a little google search yourself to find gardeners in your area and make sure you are on all these web sites.  Ditto for any printed directories that are still in place.

For the design aspect, you are looking for wealthier clients, so go where they are and contact them.  Make sure you have a portfolio of your designs and hopefully some references.  High price contracts are more difficult to sell and references are very persuasive.  Enter gardening competitions, get some press releases about your new set up.

For both parts of your business.  Get a good book on gurellia marketing and use some of these low cost techniques.  I am afraid that you are going to have to find customers, they will not find you.  Be like a lion that hunts near the water hole - in other words, market where your potential customers are or meet.

Good luck.

Starting a Small Business

Lee Lister

If you are a serious entrepreneur and want to set up your own business or ensure that your existing business is more profitable then let me assist you. I answer questions on business start up, business strategy, business models, business planning, marketing plans, marketing strategy, branding, business tune ups and business improvement. I do not answer any legal, tax or accountancy questions - you should see your own professional adviser about these. If you cannot be bothered to read and rate my answers - I can't be bothered to answer yours! If you have a small internet based company, I would welcome your help in completing a survey and helping me with my Masters Dissertation. I am researching how a small company can build its brand and grow quickly using social media marketing. The survey takes 4 minutes and all information is confidential and will NEVER be used for marketing purposes. Thank you in advance. The link to the survey is below:

Over 20 year’s management, IT and business consultancy experience with businesses large and small as well as being a serial entrepreneur.

A prolific writer and published author, I write on entrepreneurship, project, bid management and career improvement.

BA (Hons) Economics MSc Marketing Management , studying for DBA. Numerous business qualifications.