Starting a Small Business/How to start up a online cell phone business?

Question
Hi David, I hope you can help me and give me advise on this matter. I recently started to buy and sell cell phones on the craigslist web site. I realized that I'm making a profit on each sale. I was wondering what name should I give my company? I am looking for a unique name. I will be selling all kind of cellphones from iPhones, Nokia, Samsung, LG etc.

I will and sell cellphone on the online website Craigslist.  I also want to register the name with a domain company so in the near the future if I decide to open an online shop to sell cellphones, the company name will the URL address. Any thoughts of what names I could use? Please advise.

Thank you.
Craig.

Answer
Craig,

I can give you a few tips on selecting a name, but a good business name, like beauty, lies in the eye of the beholder. What some people think is a great name makes other people shake their heads.

Here are my suggestions for choosing a good name for your business.

1.   The name must be memorable. To me, this is the most important criteria. If you want to build up any kind of repeat business, customers must be able to remember your business name. It should not be too generic nor should it be too complicated.

2.   The name must be easy to spell. It does you no good for people to remember your business name if they can't spell it. Some successful brands deliberately misspell part of their name to make it more memorable. That may be fine for a large national brand that can put tens of millions of dollars into advertising to make the misspelling stick in people's minds, but it's a disaster for small business if your customers can't spell your name.

3.   The name should be fairly short. This point really goes hand-in-hand with points 1 and 2. A short name is easier to remember and easier to spell than a longer name.

4.   The name should have a positive connotation. Your name should send a message that is consistent with your product or service. For example, you would probably not want to use a name like "Craig's Cheap Cell Phones" because the word "cheap" used in the context of electronics usually creates a mental image of a product built with substandard components.

5.   The name should convey a message about the business that you are in.  For example, a name like "Craig LLC" tells potential customer nothing about your business. Again, huge companies like Kraft, McDonald's, Nestlé, etc. can spend millions so that their name, standing alone, has meaning to their customers. That is simply not true for a small business. Your name needs to help sell your product or service.

Although it is not essential, another useful factor in choosing a good business name is for there to be a recognizable visual image of the name. That helps in creating a logo and a brand identity. For example, a name like "North Star Cell Phones" could provide a better visual image than "Premier Sell Phones."

I hope this helps.

Note: This answer is based on a longer article on my website 7 Tips to Help You Name Your New Business.

Starting a Small Business

David K. Staub