Starting a Small Business/Starting from scratch

Question
Hiello David,

I would like to ask what the logical "steps" are to start a new business.   A  website, business plan, loan?

I know that is a bit broad, but I dont know where to focus my attention first?

Thank you for your time,
Adrienne B.

Answer
Adrienne,

Every business is different so the steps will vary with the type of business, the size, the location, etc... but the first step is always a business plan.

The business plan does not need to be in writing, though that is always a good idea.  It does not need to follow a rigid format.  What it does need to do, however, is to lay out the answers to some very basic questions. Just as you would not start a long trip without looking at a map, you should not start a business with your roadmap - your business plan.

You need to deal with some basic issues - what is your product or service, who are your potential customers, how do you plan reach those customers, how do you finance your business?

The U.S. Small Business Administration provides excellent materials on their website to help you create your business plan.  I highly recommend visiting the SBA site at www.sba.gov/category/navigation-structure/starting-managing-business/starting-business/writing-business-plan.

Once you have a business plan, my checklist for starting a business contains other things you should do to start your business off on solid ground.

I hope this gives you a place to start.  Good luck!  

Starting a Small Business

David K. Staub