Starting a Small Business/Solar Panel Co. Start-Up

Dear Lee

I have registered my solar panel company around a year and a half ago, and have written a business plan in order to obtain some financing. However, it has been deemed very difficult to do so in my position.
I have also desired to find a team to help me implement the objectives of the company which I also have not met.

My question to you is, how do you see it that I begin my work with this company. I have already secured a sub contractor who would be doing the installations and design of the solar panels for me. This was supposed to be done by my company however, for ease of the start-up I am delegating this task to a subcontractor.

So is my task to just obtain clients now, however, I do need materials such as brochures etc. to look professional, and what are the best ways to obtain clients that are homeowners? Other than door-to-door.

So, from an outside eye, how can I launch this business with very limited (close to no) initial financing.

Thank You Very Much In Advance

Best Regards

You are starting up in an area that has some sharks and charleston so in it, combined with being in a country that does not have year round sunshine so you have an up hill struggle. Yes you need marketing material and ideally a reference site. This you can find by offering someone a discount in exchange for agreeing to provide a reference if contacted. Obviously you cannot demand a good reference so you need to give them a great service. Perhaps you have a good friend that will do this for you. Also invest in good quality marketing brochures that explain the financial benefits and "what is in it for me?" to the potential,customer.

How to find the customers.

1) cold calling, perhaps via an outbound call center who will have lists. This might be expensive for little results so choose wisely.
2) local adverts and sponsorships. Ensure you advertise to your market as opposed to scatter gunning. Look where comparable and similar products advertise.
3) pop up shop fronts are a cheaper way of setting up a town presence. Look for short lived tenancies.
4) hold seminars on keeping down heating and electric costs. Offer good value, take contact details and offer personal quotes.
5) hold a competition and collect contact details.

You need to set up,a mailing and contact list for all potential customers and keep non haressing, non annoying contact with them

Set up a web site with more details and reference this in all contacts. Better and cheaper than a brochure.

Lastly, ask your sub contractor for any contacts. You may be better at sales than they are.

Good luck.

Starting a Small Business

Lee Lister

If you are a serious entrepreneur and want to set up your own business or ensure that your existing business is more profitable then let me assist you. I answer questions on business start up, business strategy, business models, business planning, marketing plans, marketing strategy, branding, business tune ups and business improvement. I do not answer any legal, tax or accountancy questions - you should see your own professional adviser about these. If you cannot be bothered to read and rate my answers - I can't be bothered to answer yours! If you have a small internet based company, I would welcome your help in completing a survey and helping me with my Masters Dissertation. I am researching how a small company can build its brand and grow quickly using social media marketing. The survey takes 4 minutes and all information is confidential and will NEVER be used for marketing purposes. Thank you in advance. The link to the survey is below:

Over 20 year’s management, IT and business consultancy experience with businesses large and small as well as being a serial entrepreneur.

A prolific writer and published author, I write on entrepreneurship, project, bid management and career improvement.

BA (Hons) Economics MSc Marketing Management , studying for DBA. Numerous business qualifications.