Starting a Small Business/business partner issues

Question
I want to start a business as a LLC with a partner, however if my partner decides to start a second business doing the same thing behind my back. Can this be possible in the state of Texas?

Answer
You can restrict the ability of the other member of the LLC from competing with the LLC by providing restrictive language in the LLC's operating agreement.  In fact, that is a common provision in many circumstances.  

Be careful to clearly describe what each member cannot do outside the LLC. It is likely that a court will narrowly construe the provision in the event of any ambiguity.

Starting a Small Business

David K. Staub